Russell Lights – Vol 7 Issue 19 – Sept 2004
This frail and damaged photo shows Tapeka in the early 1900s, when the land was farmed. To the right are the Norfolk Island pines planted by Samuel Stephenson in the 1830s, which still survive on the reserve.
Near the trees stands the small shingled roof cottage owned by Samuel Stephenson with a wing each side to cope with a growing family and a lean to at the back.
It later became Mrs Woolley’s Girls School in the 1860s and later still the home of the Wood family before being demolished about 1908.
On the left is the “new house” where Mrs Wardell, known to many older Russellites, lived in the 1940s. The flat areas show extensive vegetable gardens.
For years there was only a bridle track over from Russell, road access being put in by the army during World War Two.
The modern subdivision dates from 1967 when a colourful brochure offers 98 sections for sale on deposit of 10% and balance spread over 5 years. Prices ranged from £1,300 to £2,100.