Russell Lights - Volume 10 - Issue 13 - June 2007 # 35
This photo of Cape Brett lighthouse was taken from a set of glass plates given some years ago to the Russell Museum by Lillian Woodcock. They date from the 1920s. The photos were developed for us by Laurence Aberhart.
Cape Brett lighthouse was built in 1909 and electrified in 1955. It was manned by three keepers who lived on site with their families until installation of an automated light in 1978. Supplies came in by sea and there was a rough track to Rawhiti.
Major restoration over the last few months included removing layers of old paint, new glass, doors and ladders, and better access to the boat landing. Department of Conservation who care for the lighthouse hope to have open days later in the year.
A book that tells of the lighthouse life (including Cape Brett) has just been reprinted by its author Mabel Pollock and will be available from July in the Russell Museum shop.