…when passenger ships tied up at the wharf. This is 1926, Russell Regatta Day, and a “new” wharf was being constructed. In June the following year, the Minister of Marine arrived by the Clansman  from Auckland to open the Russell Public Library, built by the townspeople at a cost of £267, and the wharf, which cost £14,235. Back then it didn’t have any arms, just one 420 ft long leg with the main portion being 50 ft wide. It was built of concrete protected with spring pile fendering; it had launch landings, a storage shed, office, electric light and public conveniences. The Minister “considered Russell had a big future before it as a centre of tourist traffic for deep-sea fishing, and urged the inhabitants to be alive to its possibilities by providing first class accommodation for rich Americans who did not mind paying for value received.” His wife cut the ribbon with a golden knife, the Hon. G. J. Anderson declared the wharf open, and afternoon tea was served in the public hall.