Posts by Curator

Politics

Posted on May 10, 2015 in Heritage | 0 comments

Politics

Visit of William Massey Original photo © Russell Museum This photo shows a politician’s visit in 1922. The Russell wharf is decorated with flags and a welcoming fern arch. The local men dressed in their best suits and hats and a few small boys form a guard of honour. There is no sign of any women or girls. Perhaps they were preparing the banquet for their illustrious guest Premier William Ferguson Massey, Prime Minister of New Zealand from 1912 to 1925. Mr Massey had been North before in 1914 when he opened the Kaikohe railhead. With unsealed roads and no road access to Russell, travel...

Read More

Russell Police Station

Posted on May 10, 2015 in Heritage | 0 comments

Russell Police Station

Custom House / Police Station Original photo © Russell Museum A group of well dressed Russell ladies c1900 enjoying a game of croquet beside the Russell Police Station. Croquet was played at private homes until a croquet club was established after World War I on part of the Kororareka Reserve. The Russell Playcentre stands on the site today. The Police Station started as the Customs House built in 1870 from a Gothic design by W.H. Clayton, the Colonial Architect for New Zealand. It is one of his first designs providing both accommodation and an office. By the late 1890s visiting whalers were...

Read More

Still Watching the Years Go By

Posted on May 10, 2015 in Heritage | 0 comments

Still Watching the Years Go By

Norfolk pine at Te Wahapu Original photo © Russell Museum A  Norfolk pine stands sentinel on a knoll at the end of the Te Wahapu peninsula, in a prominent position within one of our recreational reserves. A sign below the tree was erected to mark the reserve in July 1988 by the Historic Places Trust. The wording on the sign is: In this bay, Te Wahapu, a trading post and ship repair yard were established by Gilbert Mair in 1831, and run by him with William Powditch as a partner in the early years. Mair’s house stood on the point, beside the Norfolk Islands pine planted by Mrs Mair about 1836....

Read More

Hangi

Posted on May 10, 2015 in Heritage | 0 comments

Hangi

Christ Church Centennial 1936 Original photo © Russell Museum The traditional Tall Ships hangi at the Russell Boat Club attracts hundreds each January. This photo shows steam rising from a hangi being opened on 29 March 1936. It was Christ Church’s one-hundredth birthday and all the pews were taken out of the church and the main service (there were three others, one in Maori) held outside at the back of the church to accommodate all the visitors and dignitaries. Afterwards across the road on the empty section where the museum now stands local Maori had put down a hangi. Through the...

Read More

Hananui Hotel

Posted on May 10, 2015 in Heritage | 0 comments

Hananui Hotel

Pacific Hotel / Hananui Original photo © Russell Museum This photo shows the Pacific Hotel, later known as Hananui Boarding House, in its prime. It was built in the 1870s and demolished in 1961 to make way for the Hananui Motel, the first motel for Russell. The land it stood on was part of a larger area granted to Tamati Waka Nene in 1866. He gave a section of it to the widowed Matilda Cook whose husband, George, was a relative. Matilda had kept a motherly eye on Nene in his cottage nearby. She built a hotel to provide a living for herself and her family. In the back garden was a well, lined...

Read More